Workplace Consultancy to master New Work
Workplace Consultancy is one of the most effective tools for meeting the changing demands of our modern working world. Improved workflows, flexible use of space and optimal utilization of resources - learn below everything you need to know about the methods of experienced Workplace Consultants to fully utilize the potential of companies.
What is Workplace Consultancy?
Workplace Consultancy is the process of identifying and implementing strategic improvement potential in work environments. Using a variety of methods, the company works with a workplace consultant to develop a customized concept for greater efficiency, well-being and success. The focus is on spatial transformation to meet the demands of a new work culture.
- Traditional workstations and meeting rooms are giving up ground in favor of more diverse, New Work-appropriate work options.
- The implementation of hybrid work and desk sharing allows flexible, far more economical use of workspaces.
- Smart offices that meet constantly changing requirements and workflows are ideal for variable team structures and agile project organization.
Based on the strategic objectives, a Workplace Consultant determines the individual requirements:
- What changes is the company aiming for through Workplace Consultancy?
- What are the organizational goals?
- What limiting aspects need to be taken into account?
These questions serve as the basis for a concrete needs analysis, which, among other things, defines the exact requirements for Workplace Consulting:
- Which areas will have which function in the future?
- What is required to improve the mobility and flexibility of the organization?
Workplace Consultancy in the context of the New Work culture
The New Work culture is characterized by a changing relationship between people and work. This is due to drivers such as advancing digitalization, a global economy and automation. Technological advances in particular, but also a change in the ethical values of employees, require digital skills and soft skills. From the point of view of employees, further training is becoming an essential instrument for adequately meeting future challenges. The transformation of the labor market into an employee market (buzzword: war for talents) has led employers to increasingly focus on employer branding, of which Workplace Consultancy is a subarea.
What are the advantages of Workplace Consultancy?
Workplace Consultancy is associated with numerous advantages. Often, outdated processes and outdated spatial structures are the cause of strategic problems in day-to-day business. Current and future organizational processes, technologies used, and the physical work environment merge into a workplace strategy that meets the individual requirements of the new working world. Spaces are treated as valuable resources that allow for a modern management style.
Workplace Consultancy offers the following benefits:
- Increase attractiveness as an employer
- free choice of working place for employees
- stronger team spirit
- up to 30 % reduction in energy costs
- up to 20 % less required floor space
- reduced staff turnover
- less sick leave
- more successful communication
- razor-sharp process interfaces
- agile space concepts
- accelerated work processes
- more work efficiency
- more economical use of space
For whom is Workplace Consulting suitable?
Workplace Consulting can support almost any company in optimizing its workflow. Whether you are a start-up, a sole proprietorship, an SME or an international corporation, customized Workspace Consulting can optimize workflows at all levels.
Workspace Consulting is suitable for:
- Achieve long-term benefits through desk sharing and home office.
- Implement innovative, digital processes.
- Make workspaces the best version of themselves.
- Provide employees with a proactive, communicative environment.
Workplace Consultancy: Implementing the New Work culture in practice
To implement Workplace Consultancy in practice, workplace consultants use a combination of different methods. Suitable formats depend on the individual objectives and needs analysis.
Examples of Workplace Consultancy formats
Examples of Workplace Consultancy formats are:
- Online surveys among employees. They serve to determine the general needs of all employees; for example, with regard to personal workflow or mobility. What space requirements correspond to individual organizational units?
- Interviews. These make it possible to determine the specific spatial needs of individual employees or departments.
- Workshops. These are traditionally used to determine general requirements and suitable design principles on which the future office concept will be based; for example, desk sharing.
- Target workshops. Here, project visions are created that can be flexibly adapted to changing objectives. The identification of fields of action implies the concrete goals.
How do I find a competent Workplace Consultant?
A competent Workplace Consultant is characterized by the following qualities:
- in-depth understanding of operational processes
- adept analysis of working methods
- enjoyment of quality and high-value designs
- committed & curious approach to challenges
- Talent for unorthodox, creative solutions
Since consultants are not a protected job title, you should pay attention to the formal qualifications when selecting them. Experts specializing in change management, processes and adoption are ideal. Ask around within your professional network for positive experiences.
Desk sharing as a central element of New Work
As one of the central elements of Workplace Consultancy in the context of New Work is Desk Sharing. Flexible work environments meet the need for quiet workstations for focused work, casual areas, formal meeting spaces, or appropriate venues for creative think tanks. As a result of the widespread remote culture, home offices and flexible work schedules, workstations are no longer fully utilized at any given time. Here, desk sharing enables workspace sharing among multiple employees to achieve maximum efficient utilization of spatial resources as well as cost reduction.
Hybrid workspace solutions include the flexible reservation of workspaces in the course of projects. Occupancy takes place exclusively during actual working hours; vacancies are avoided. Time schedules or guidelines defined by the company for the use of space help here. In-house servers or clouds ensure that all employees have access to relevant data anywhere and at any time.
For which industries is desk sharing suitable?
Desk sharing is suitable for almost every industry. Particularly successful pioneers are companies in Silicon Valley such as Facebook, which have been using this innovative concept for some time. Desk sharing is also often found in the following industries:
- Field service
- insurance companies
- consulting services
- IT administration
- Training Services
- Project Management
The selection of a room by employees can be done either by booking (called hotelling) or by visual inspection. In the latter case, an appropriate interior design is recommended, where glass walls, for example, allow an uncomplicated view.
Desk sharing - equipping flexible workstations
Equipping flexible workstations for the purpose of desk sharing is associated with special requirements. Clear rules and fixed structures are essential to ensure that all tasks run smoothly. These define
- the order of work materials
- the cleaning of the workplace
- the handling of work utensils left behind
Wipes and disinfectant spray at the workstation make it possible to keep it perfectly hygienic between uses.
Basic equipment for desk sharing
Thoughtful basic equipment is important to provide a productivity-enhancing environment for all employees. This includes:
- PC / laptop
- sufficient charging possibilities / connections
- external hardware such as screen, mouse & keyboard
- classic stationery
- mobile pedestal as personal storage space
A Workplace Consultant supports companies of all types and sizes in optimizing their space according to individual goals. By analyzing the smallest work processes and creating customized workspaces, vacancies are reduced to a minimum. In addition, a working environment is created which unconditionally focuses on human management and communication. In addition to reducing costs, flexible workplaces can be created that cleverly combine the requirements of diverse processes with the needs of your employees.
Would you like a non-binding consultation on the topic of Workplace Consultancy? Our team is looking forward to your inquiry via the contact form.